Wednesday, January 9, 2008

My weirdness

I've been tagged my Stephanie to reveal 5 weird things about myself, so here goes:

1. When alone in the car, I crank up the tunes, and sing very loudly. (And very badly). I've been known to have trouble keeping both hands on the wheel while doing so. I also crank up the tunes and dance around my kitchen like a maniac when no one is around. Sometimes I even have a pretend microphone. I hope it sounds good to the Lord, since I know it doesn't sound so great to the human ear.

2. I've discovered that I have mixed dominance. I'm left-handed, but my right eye is dominant. In some people this can cause writing problems, or dyslexia. I have neither, but a serious left/right problem. Never trust my directions, as I'm likely to say right, when I really mean left. In college, my parents once ended up in a very bad section of Boston because they followed my directions. My husband always jokes that if we're ever in a situation driving, and he yells "Go left", in order to save our family from an accident, we'll all be meeting Jesus. That's why he does most of the driving.

3. I have hazel eyes, but as a child I had a pie-shaped wedge in one eye that was green. It still appears every now and then. Even weirder, I have a niece, also named Julie, that has the same pie-shaped wedge thing going on.

4. I homeschool my children, and attend a Baptist church. I don't think this is weird, but a lot of other people apparently think so. (I live in RI, after all, and I'm the only person in my family that is not Catholic.)

5. I not so secretly wish I was born in a different century. I envy Ma Ingalls, and daydream about being a pioneer woman. My husband doesn't think I'd last a day, but I think he underestimates me.

So there it is: my weirdness. I'm tagging Kysha, and Brooke Lorren. So let's hear it, how weird are you?

4 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

I used to want to be Laura Ingalls. Then I watched one of those reality shows on PBS set in pioneering times. I'm very happy with my central heat, running water, and gas stove!

Joel's eyes are hazel but depending on the day they can have a green circle or brown or gold circles. Very fun about the wedge!

Daisy said...

That pie shaped eye thing is kinda weird. LOL, and I always wanted to live on a farm in the middle of Virgina back in the 1700's

Wasabi is Japanese horseradish.

Anonymous said...

I have the left right thing too!!
As far as the mixed dominance... it is suppose to make you a better hitter in baseball/softball. So I would have to agree with you, yours would qualify as weird!! Ha Ha
love ya -
Nance

Brooke Lorren said...

I'm left/right dyslexic as well (having trouble with left/right is a form of dyslexia). Made it a little more difficult in military boot camp for me, lol.

Our streets are all arranged in a grid around here, so I memorize what is north, south, east and west. So I might tell someone to turn south at X street rather than turn right or turn left. When I'm told directions I try to learn them as north/south.

I also use the trick on my hand where you make an L with your thumb and forefinger to tell which way is left. Even to this day.

My 5 year old seems to be better with left/right than I. Although she sometimes writes 10 as 01 and writes her 6s backwards. But that's normal at her age.