Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Do I look like Tim LaHaye?

As I may have mentioned, I teach Sunday School to the younger teens at my church. We were just completing a very teacher-friendly curriculum, when I asked the students what they would like to study next. The overwhelming response was: "Revelation." In the words of one of the boys, "Every year we ask for Revelation, and we always end up back in Genesis." I could see his point. And I do love a challenge. I looked high and low for an appropriate youth study on Revelation. I was very excited when I found what looked like a great study. I ordered it, and anxiously awaited its arrival. When it came, I was even more excited. It had great age- appropriate activities, with plenty of life application. One problem: Each session has questions for the kids to answer in small groups relating to the chapter. But there is no answer key!! Not even a suggestion, as to how to steer the conversation. Are you kidding me? Do I look like Tim LaHaye? (No offence to Mr. LaHaye- but I'm hoping I don't look like an eighty year old man!) As I'm sure you're aware, teens ask questions, and lots of them. Nothing like the questions that came my way when I taught the toddler class. The only thing they ever asked was,"More juice?" and "Mama?" Teens ask real questions. And although I'm not afraid to say, "I don't know, I'll look into it.", I'm sure they don't want that to be the bulk of the discussion every week. So, needless to say, I'll be studying Revelation right along with them. Hopefully my Pastor doesn't get too sick of my questions. But in the end I know it will be a blessing to me. In the words of God, Himself:

Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophesy, and heed the things which are written in it; for the time is near. Rev. 1:3

At least I know what that verse means.

2 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

Revelation, huh? Now I'm wondering what curriculum you found.

Anonymous said...

My son loves the Left Behind series. Maybe you can contact the site? I will be praying for you. The book of Revelation is a hard book but you can do it. I know you can. : )