Thursday, January 3, 2008

Bikini, anyone?

This afternoon we set out for the homeschool theater group my girls are involved in. It's free, if you don't count the gas. It's about a 35 minute drive, which by RI standards is very, very far. I was about 20 minutes into the drive when my cell phone rang. It was the teen who runs the group calling to tell me there was no theater today. Okay, there's $5.00 in gas I'll never get back. I decided to make the best of the situation and try to get a little shopping done. During the last snowstorm I realized Rachel desperately needed new boots. It seems she doesn't like having to scrunch up her toes to fit into her old ones. I knew it might be a little late to find these, but I didn't realize how late. I knew we were in trouble when the first thing I saw when we walked into Target was bikinis. Okay, it's 10 degrees out, who in their right mind is going to buy a bathing suit this time of year? As we walked through the store I saw rack after rack of shorts and summer clothes. Have I entered a time-warp? I thought it was January, but maybe I'm mistaken. When we got to the shoe department, I noticed a lovely assortment of sandals and flip-flops. It wasn't looking good. Then I spotted the row that said, "Family Boots." I got a little excited. That didn't last long. The racks were empty, except 7 pairs of boots. (yes, I counted) 5 were Men's, and 2 were in toddler sizes. Bummer! I know I should have bought them earlier, but with Disney and Christmas, I just kept putting it off. I guess I learned my lesson. Next year I'll be better prepared, and buy them in July.

1 comment:

Stephanie Kay said...

I had similar problems last year at Penney's. I even commented to the store clerk and she gave me the usual run around that if they didn't get things out early no one would buy them..yada yada yada.

My guess that the people who are buying swimsuits are the ones headed to FL for Feb. vacation. Unlike us poor pitiful people who'll be enduring the cold and dark during that time. = )

By the way, I'd have to lay on my magic bed a very long time before I'd be wearing a bikini. = )