Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Sleep Study

Well, the sleep study didn't turn out to be the rip, roaring, good time I had anticipated. I was supposed to get there at 9:00 pm. I was a few minutes late, and then had to deal with some paperwork. Much to my husband's relief, both the techs were female. He was very worried that some man would be watching me sleep! Kinda cute, him worrying like that. After the first round of paperwork, I got in my jammies. The tech then had me sit in a chair while I was hooked up to all sorts of wires. I had wires glued to my head, my legs, and my face. By the time this was all done it was 10:20. I then had a bunch of questionnaires to fill out. When I finished it was 10:45. The lights have to be out by 11:00, so I had a grand total of fifteen minutes to read! Not exactly my exciting plan for the night. At 11:00 the tech came back and hooked my wires up to the monitors. She then had to test the set-up by having me lift a leg, bite down, look up, etc...., while she watched the monitors in another room. I was allowed to watch TV, but I was so tired, and I knew they were going to get me up at 6am, so I just tried to sleep. Then I tried some more. It wasn't easy. I finally decided to think about my cat. It seemed like a boring enough subject to put me to sleep. (No offense, to Hannah my cat) It must have worked, because the next thing I knew the tech came in to readjust the wires on my head. I found out in the morning that it was 4am when she came in. I had trouble going back to sleep, so I thought about my cat some more. I awoke at 6am, and a few minutes later the tech came in to take all the wires off. She wasn't allowed to tell me anything, other than whether there were any respiratory incidents. She didn't see any, meaning I didn't stop breathing while I slept. That sounds like a good thing, but I was somewhat disappointed. If that is the problem, it seems like an easy fix. So I'm stuck waiting 10-14 days for my doctor to get the report. I was walked out, and given a voucher for the hospital cafeteria. No thanks...I was so tired. I couldn't believe how much traffic there was at that hour. I headed straight home, and put my PJs back on, and went to sleep for a few more hours. I'm hoping they find something to explain my constant exhaustion. It may just be that this is the thorn in my side. If that's the case, I guess I can live with that. I have been for so long, anyway.

4 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

So sorry you didn't get any good sleep or reading time in!! I hope they figure something out.

Anonymous said...

How were they expecting to conduct the Sleep Study without Sleep. LOL
Well, I'm glad you don't have apnea.

Gina said...

I'm sorry you didn't get the restful night you were hoping for. I hope you get some results soon.

Anonymous said...

An interesting thing happened today, I happened to google "pee, poop, and marriage" (odd? possibly) and guess what i found??? So now you've got a new fan!!! Of course i've been a fan for 38+ yrs so i guess thats not so new!! Love ya, Joe p.s. we have to talk about that sleep thing...it must be genetic!