Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I'm one dizzy chick

Here are the highlights of my past week or so:

1. Alex had a croupy cough going to bed on Thursday. I did a saline nebulizer, and that settled him down...until 2:40am when he woke me up coughing, saying he couldn't breath, and ASKING to go to the hospital. He has asthma that presents as coughing, so it's hard to tell with him. The cough was definitely croupy, so I remained calm, and put some Albuterol in the nebulizer. John wanted me to take him to the hospital. I had no intention of driving for 1/2 hour, with a child who couldn't breath. If he went to the hospital, it was going to be by ambulance. Thankfully, he was able to catch his breathe with the breathing treatment. He feel fast asleep. John and I spend the rest of the night listening to him breath. He's been fine ever since! Good thing we had decided to take Good Friday off from school.

2. I woke up early Saturday morning to the delightful news that Olivia had climbed in Rachel's bed during the night, and then had an accident. As I stumbled about, I realized that I really was stumbling...I appeared to have a pretty bad case of vertigo. I spend the next several hours sitting in my bed (laying down was way worse), watching the world spin by. I did manage to stumble to the bathroom a few times when the motion sickness got the best of me. I figured I had picked up whatever virus Alex had. I managed to get up around noon. I had to make a casserole and cheesecake for Easter. I also made a quickbread for church in the morning. Then the kids reminded me about my promise to color eggs. I didn't know I'd be feeling so rotten when I made that promise, but a promise is a promise. I managed to survive that, and actually felt a little better when I was up and about. Somehow I survived until bedtime, and after ironing clothes for Easter, I went to bed.

3. I awoke on Easter feeling like things were still spinning, but not as bad. We got dressed and headed to church for a Continental Breakfast fellowship. I pretty much just sat in one place. I'm sure people at church now think I'm on drugs, since I couldn't walk in a straight line. Unless you got stuck sitting next to me. Then you think I'm a real whiner. I felt better during the service, and barely survived dinner at my in-laws, before heading home. By this time I had changed my diagnosis to ear infection. I decided to go to a walk-in, the only one open at 5pm on Easter. My ears were fine. The diagnosis: Vertigo! Fifty bucks to hear what I already knew! I was given a prescription for motion sickness medicine, some head exercises to do, and instructions not to lay flat when sleeping.

4. Yesterday was more of the same. The vertigo was manageable, and we did get school in. I was sure I had licked it by bedtime. I was feeling much better, but still tried to sleep propped up. Until...

5. I woke up this morning. Saturday's spinning was nothing compared to this morning. I stumbled downstairs, and called the dentist to cancel Olivia's appointment. I somehow got back up the stairs, and spent the next 4 hours watching the room spin by. (And stumbling to the bathroom) By noon I was able to walk, and called my doctor. Her office was closed until 1pm, so I left a message. Let's see, it's now 7pm, so I guess I won't be hearing from her today. We skipped school, since I was only barely functional. I did manage to clean the bathroom, and broil some chicken for dinner.

There you have it. My exciting week. Please pray it gets less exciting. I really don't think I can handle another morning like that.

2 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

My condolences on the throwing up. Maybe we should get together and have a party - so long as we each get a bathroom. Ugh!

Anonymous said...

I pray that everyone is better really soon. I know what those neb treatments are like. :(