Friday, March 14, 2008

The results are in...

And I'm not crazy, I just don't sleep right. I got a call from my doctor last night. The sleep study results came in, and it appears that my brain has forgotten how to sleep. (Assuming it once knew how) According to the study, I don't cycle through the sleep stages in a way that would provide restorative sleep. Every time I moved into the deep sleep stage, (Delta sleep), it only lasted a minute, then I popped right back to the lighter level. My doctor says that the Delta stages are when your body restores itself, and your brain processes all it learned that day. No wonder I've been such an airhead, lately. I'm seriously sleep deprived! She wants me to try taking 2 Benedryl every night before bed. The hope is that by sedating myself, my brain will get some restorative sleep. She said I should expect to continue to feel badly because I have a huge sleep debt at this point. In theory, when I go off the medicine in 2 weeks, my brain will have remembered how to sleep. I hope this works, because if it doesn't she's sending me to a sleep psychologist. That doesn't sound fun. She referred to it as sleep boot camp, where he will prescribe all sorts of lifestyle changes that will make my life miserable. It's a relief to know there's a reasonable explanation for my fatigue. I was starting to think I was either nuts, or a whiner. I wondered if everyone felt like this, and I was just lazy or something. It's nice to know that there is a reason behind my fatigue. I also felt good, because she said she's amazed that I can function like a normal person given my sleep patterns. Well, I don't know how normal I am, but I guess I manage to do OK for myself. Please pray the Benedryl works, and my brain can figure this sleep thing out. I really don't want to go to sleep boot camp!

3 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

A sleep psychologist? I wonder how you specialize in that? = ) Glad you have some answers! Sleep boot camp sounds interesting. I wonder if you could go for a week. It sounds kind of like a vacation to me. = )

As far as you being able to function... "you do what you gotta do" is my motto. Now I'm wondering if I should push for a sleep study. You know you aren't in a deep sleep when you are aware you are sleeping. Though I think they'd just chalk my tiredness up to have 3 small children.

Jan said...

Jul, let me know how that works for you. I've been tired for years too....and I dont have kids!!! Always thought it might be the thyroid thing that mom has but doc says no. Maybe we need some beach time!!
Jan

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

It's hard to believe that I'll ever be out of the 3-car seats stage, but I'm sure it will happen before I know it.

I'm amazed that you were able to sleep with so many wires attached to you. That must be one boring cat! :)