Saturday, March 8, 2008

My big night out

Tomorrow night I'm going out on the town, all by myself. Well, I may be exaggerating a little. I'm spending the night at a sleep lab. I went to my doctor for a physical on Thursday. I had some concerns about things going on with me, but was quite surprised by the doctor's opinion. She is convinced that I have a sleep disorder. In fact, she said she would be shocked if my results are normal. Here's the thing, I am tired ALL the time. I have been as long as I can remember. I wake up tired, I'm tired all day. This has been my normal existence since I was a teen. I've complained about this to doctors for 20 years. I've always been told things like: get more sleep, eat better, slow down, and you have kids what do you expect. Well, according to my doctor, it's not normal to sleep 8-9 hours and wake up exhausted. Who knew? It's normal to me. I've always felt this way. She thinks, that while I appear to be sleeping, my brain isn't getting restorative sleep. It may be apnea, or restless limbs, or a few other issues. She basically thinks my brain hasn't had a good night's sleep in 20 years. (Which would explain, alot!) So, I'm excited about this for 2 reasons. The first is the possibility that I may someday wake up and not be tired! It seems like a pipe dream, and I've come to accept that this is just the way I am, but maybe there's more to the story. Maybe one day soon, I'll actually feel rested for once. The other reason for my excitement is a little on the pathetic side. I'm really looking forward to a night alone with a good book. I'm told the room is very nice. It has a large comfy bed, a flat screen TV and is very homey. I won't be called by any children, the entire night! Apart from the monitors and the cameras watching me, it sounds very relaxing. I'll let you know how I make out.

2 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

You mean people wake up feeling rested and refreshed?! Maybe I need one of those sleep studies, too. I know I've slept a lot better since I started using ear plugs and night (NOT even kidding!), but still not waking up feeling refreshed.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Keep us posted. My dh did this a year ago because he was having periods of apnea. He now has a cpap. I pray all goes well and you get some real sleep for once.