Sunday, December 30, 2007

I'm an Amish Robert Frost

I've been called many things, but this one had me rolling all week. You know that song by Newsboys, "Shine." (Shine, make them wonder what you've got...etc.) Do you ever wonder if you "shine"? Do people notice something different in you? You know, Christ shining through, that type of thing. I found out on Christmas Eve that I apparently do have that something different thing going on. I'm sitting there minding my own business when the rough around the edges brother of my sister- in -law announced to all that were within earshot that I was Amish! Yes, me! How funny is that? He was commenting on how I don't know how people treat each other in the real world, because, of course, I'm Amish. For some reason I find this amusing, and actually a compliment. It would appear that he doesn't think I'm as mean as most people. Either that or he has something against the Amish. I'm not sure, but I'm choosing to see it as a compliment. Then today I was even more amused by one of my Sunday School students. In class, I read to them a blog post from a few months back. It happened to go along well with the lesson. I didn't tell the kids I had written it, but thought they would figure that out. After church we were at a friend's house, when I asked if he figured out who had written it. He said he was pretty sure it was by Robert Frost! And he was serious! I think it's safe to assume that he's never actually read anything by Mr. Frost! So in the course of six short days I've discovered my true self. I'm an Amish Robert Frost!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amish!!! You did go to the same high school as your sister-in-law's brother, didn't you??
Frost!! I have always loved your writing(ever since your Captain Hook essay that got you into BU)but Frost? Maybe it's time to look for a publisher!!!
love ya,
Nance

Stephanie Kay said...

That is too hilarious!!!