Thursday, October 9, 2008

On witnessing...

God has really been working with me in this area. He's been making clear to me things that I knew in my head, but for some reason I was having a hard time putting into action. How am I, as a Christian, to share that hope that is within me? With words? With actions? If He's called me to be His witness, how does that play out in everyday life? You know what? This might not be a shocker to you, but it's not about me. It's not even really about the people I'm trying to witness to about Christ. It's all about HIM! He doesn't need me. He allows me to be a part of His plan thankfully, but I can't save anyone. I couldn't even save myself, so what in the world makes me think I can save others?? Now, I'll readily admit that God has given some the gift of evangelism. But even then, it's God doing all the work, He's just using someone to speak the words of life. God does the drawing in, not us mere humans. So then, what are those of us without that gift to do? Am I off the hook, so to speak? I don't think so. God has convicted me of two things I'm to do. The first is to radiate Christ. Here's the kicker, though: If I'm trying to radiate Christ, then it once again becomes about me. If I have to try, it's not really Christ I'm showing. It's how kind I can be, or how supportive I can be. Where's God in that?? So I've stopped trying. Instead I'm getting out of His way. Amazing things happen when I get out of the way! By learning to abide in Him daily, I've found that Christ radiates through me. I don't have to do anything! Isn't that cool? The second point God has made over and over, is that I need to be ready to give an account for the hope that is within me. This is very much connected to point 1, because when Christ shines through you, people notice, and they ask questions. Again, by abiding in Him, He shines through, and gives me the words. It's all Him, really it has little to do with me. I have noticed a trend lately, though. The more time I spend in prayer, and in His word, the more often I'm asked questions about my faith. I don't even have to bring up the topic. I remember one time recently when I was with someone I had been praying for. Out of the blue, he asked me, "So what was up with the resurrection, anyway?" I was a little shocked to be honest. But I shouldn't be. When I abide in Him, I should expect such questions. So I guess the moral of this story is that it's not about me, or you, or even the lost world out there. It's all about Him, our glorious King and Savior. Don't you feel better now?

No comments: