Thursday, June 19, 2008

On being 40...

On June 9th, it happened. I reached the milestone of being alive for 40 full years. In other words, I'm now working on my 5th decade of life. As much as I should be depressed by this fact, for some odd reason, I find it quite empowering. 20 is so overrated. Sure, I miss my cute butt, and I've gained 20 pounds in the last 2 decades, but 40 really is so much better than 20. And here are a few reasons why: (humor me, here)
- When I was 20, I knew very little, and thought I knew everything. At 40, I know a lot more, yet realize I still have a lot to learn.
- I didn't have a house when I was 20. Heck, I didn't even have a car when I was 20. So what I'm getting at is I have a lot more stuff now. (Thus the constant need to declutter)
- At 20, I was just beginning to realize how much my parents had done for me. Now at 40, I totally appreciate them.
- At 20, I dreamed of a family and children. Of course in my dream, it was a lot less work. Today at 40, I'm living the dream. Despite the work, I know how blessed I am.
- When I was 20, I didn't even know what a church family was...now, I know, and thank God everyday for mine.
- At 20, I knew about Jesus...but I didn't know Him. At 40, I'm getting to know Him more and more everyday, and He never ceases to amaze me.

Yes, 40 is definitely better than 20...except for those funny, little hairs that keep popping up on my chin. (What's up with that???) I honestly think I'd rather be forty than twenty, despite the chin hair. Now if I could only find a way to freeze the hands of time and stay 40 forever.

2 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

I'm not 40 but I agree that the 30s are WAY better than the 20s were!! I know who I am. I'm not obsessing about finding Mr. Right and will I ever have children. Etc. Etc. Now if I could just get rid of all the loose flab that 4 babies in 5.5 years is creating the 30s would be perfect. = )

Anonymous said...

Julie's back! Yay!!!!!! Happy Birthday, girl!